Responsible for leading multidisciplinary teams to ensure plant and equipment is maintained in a state of operational readiness by safely providing the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of specific engineering activities that align with company strategy, commitments and goals.
- Maintains facility and equipment in a safe and operational state of readiness at all times in order to fulfill daily production requirements and ensure people safety, product safety, quality and legality is not compromised.
- Maintains comprehensive and complete engineering records including preventative maintenance schedules, machine history, purchase orders, equipment manuals and capital expenditure requests.
- Operates site engineering department within established budgetary and policy guidelines and reviews progress with management on an ongoing basis.
- Creates, coordinates and maintains a standardised efficient preventative maintenance program designed to minimise production downtime.
- Ensures work is performed to an appropriate agreed high level and takes action to rectify if standards not met.
- Performs safety and food safety based risk assessments before engaging in or performing any kind of engineering activity or equipment intervention, and ensuring the identified risks are appropriately mitigated/ controlled.
- Prepares tender documents, reviews and selects successful vendors.
- Management, supervising and coordination of staff and contractors.
- Calculating and comparing costs for required goods or services to achieve maximum value for money.
- Planning for future development in line with strategic business objectives.
- Managing and leading change to ensure minimum disruption to core activities.
- Provides support for project work as required, particularly in the deployment of new equipment or processing changes which need to be integrated into existing maintenance systems.
- Coordinates meetings with General Managers and engineering teams to ensure objectives are met and critical issues resolved.
- Coordinates and leads one or more teams to cover various areas of responsibility.
- Responds appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise and effectively deals with the consequences.
- Supports and actively participates in plant operational planning, evaluation and problem solving.
- Continually evaluates new equipment and production techniques to ensure that our client is on the leading edge of bakery technology.
- Co-ordinates applications for permits and other regulatory activities.
- Secures legal documents/insurance in compliance with defined risk management guidelines
- Procure materials and services as required to execute maintenance plans and maintain equipment function and condition as per original design, unless modifications otherwise authorised.
People and Relationships
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships and two-way communication with all personnel throughout the Company.
- Maintains close personal relationships with officers of external consultants, contractors, and vendors.
- Responsible for the direction, coordination, people development and evaluation of the Engineering Teams, which utilises a structured program to lead the selection, training, competency and development of the engineering staff, and reviews progress with the General Manager on a regular basis identifying areas of risk, opportunity, and/ or succession.
- Oversees the effective management of contractor and external partner performance, ensuring appropriate contractor induction and documentation is maintained.
- Provide strong leadership and intuitively identifies performance, capability, or behavioral risks within the Maintenance team and appropriately addresses these issues in line with our client core values and team culture expectations
- Minimum of 5 years+ in large scale baking industry or related food industries.
- Demonstrated experience in engineering/maintenance management.
- Possesses engineering qualifications or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Able to co-ordinate, lead, motivate and organize people, ensuring smooth and effective running of the engineering function.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, developing and empowering a team to deliver successful outcomes in the food or similar industry.
- Strong leadership skills, independent thinking and planning abilities together with excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to drive cultural change and people engagement in conjunction with the strategic leadership and core values of the organization.
- Strong communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and relationship building skills, with the ability to develop and maintain stakeholder relationships, including ability to negotiate and manage conflict.
- Demonstrated commercial acumen and experience in negotiating and building relationships with external partners / vendors to deliver value for money outcomes.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Flexibility with work schedules as there may a requirement to work after hours.